Thursday, September 13, 2007

Don't trash blank pages in your bill

This is probably a no-brainer, but I am guilty of improperly disposing of some of my private information. Occasionally when I receive a billing statement from So-and-So Corporation, they will leave a blank page at the end - or a page with unimportant information. Sometimes I shred them, sometimes I just ball them up and toss them.

But you need to always shred these documents. On one I noticed that my full name and account number were displayed on the header of the page. Not good information to have out there. On another I noticed the name and account number in tiny print at the bottom corner, not where you would expect to look, but there it was. So far I have yet to see account information on the bill itself, but I would not put them passed adding at minimum the account number to the originating address portion of the return envelope.

So now, as a precaution, I shred the entire bill - envelope and all - except the main pages that I keep for filing.

No comments: