Tuesday, October 23, 2007

2007 Roth IRA coming to a close

Technically, you can still contribute to your 2007 Roth up until April of 2008. The limit for young middle-income folks like myself is $4,000. Unless you make 6 figures, you need not worry about whether or not you can contribute (or whether your maximum contribution limit is lower). More details can be found here.

If you're like me, however, your 2007 budget ends on December 31, and savings afterwards falls into the 2008 contribution. With little more than 2 months left in the year, it's a good time to evaluate your progress and see if you have reached your maximum or exceeded it (yikes, more paperwork!). If you have exceeded it, be sure not only to withdraw the excess dollar amount but also the dollar amount of the interest that your excess earned. The tax you pay will be more than your earnings! There is no penalty for withdrawing excess contributions. Of course, hold on to it and just figure it in to your 2008 contribution.

A quick glance to my investment spreadsheet tells me that I am in no danger of exceeding my limit. Hopefully next year I can increase my monthly Roth allowance.

No comments: