Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Do you hide your spending?

In a completely unscientific survey by Parenting Magazine, editors asked

"What's the largest amount of money you've ever spent without talking it over with your partner?"
Although called "Parenting" this magazine is geared almost entirely towards women, so we can assume most of the respondents to the survey were female.

6% said $25, 8% said $75, 11% said $150, 22% said $250 and a staggering 53% responded with "It's my little secret".

Do you hide your spending from your spouse? Have you made a major purchase decisions without consulting them? Do you think that's okay?

1 comment:

Unknown said...

My wife and I have a general rule. If one of us is planning to spend more than $100 on a given day, we tell the other one. It started like that because we generally pay for such things using our debit card, but don't keep much of our money in checking because of the better yields elsewhere. We didn't want to risk withdrawing too much at one time.

Now that we're in the habit, we even talk to each other before spending that much using debit, credit, cash... whatever.

Once though, I lost some money in Vegas that I shouldn't have and low-balled the total when I got home. That was probably my biggest dirty financial secret, but it didn't put us in the hole (it was roughly $100ish).