First, my wife is laid off from her second part time job. Second, my car breaks down on the way to work. And finally third, our cat poops on the floor.
Here is how we dealt and are dealing with these problems. First we list them by urgency, come up with a plan, then execute said plan.
- Priority 1: Cat poop on our floor. Above losing a job and the car breaking down, the most urgent situation is that there is now a pile of poo on our carpet. This problem is two-fold. One is that the poop is there, which has now been cleaned up. The second is the smell is there, which may attract the cat back and send guests into a coma. What we need is a good disinfecting cleanser and let it soak in. When cats poop, they pee, which means we have pee soaked into the under-padding. Will do this evening.
- Priority 2: The car. I believe this is going to be a relatively easy fix, but unfortunately it had to be towed back to the house and put to sleep in the garage for the day. My estimated cost for parts will be $100. At least that is my projected maximum costs. If it is greater, I may have to delay the repairs. I will go into phase one of the repairs this evening. Projected labor: 1 hour plus travel time to the auto parts store.
- Priority 3: A job loss. This one can't be remedied quickly, but we are already looking in the paper for a replacement - even if it is a temporary one. This could go either way, it may be resolved fairly quickly or may take a bit of time.
- Other Additional Costs: Flowers for wife. Nice ones. First she lost her job (albeit her second part time one) and second, she called AAA - with whom she has membership - and added me to the club so I could get a tow. It actually was cheaper than me just calling a tow truck, especially since I called 3 and couldn't find anyone to come out to get me. She took care of it by phone while I was sitting on the side of the road playing "Snake" on my cellphone.
- Other Short-Term Consequences: Will probably hear "I told you so" several times after being reminded how many times I said "We don't need to add me to your AAA, it's not worth the money!"
- Other Consequences: Possible residual cat pee smell and seeing wife's face when I tell her about said cat incident.